If you find yourself with more than one customer entries for the same person, you now have the ability to merge them into one customer record. The steps to merge duplicate customers are listed below, along with visuals.
1. In the top navigation menu under Sales, click on Customers
2. On the Customers page, type the customer name you'd like to merge into the text box.
3. Select the customers you would like to be merged by clicking on the boxes to the left of the customer number. To select both at the same time, you can check the box at the top next to the "#" column heading.
4. When two or more boxes are selected, the selections will turn yellow and a "Merge" button will appear in the top right corner.
5. After clicking the "Merge" button, you will be brought to a new page where it explains that when customer records are merged all customer history, addresses, and saved credit card information will be preserved and combined. However, customer name, email address, and custom fields cannot be combined. Because of this, you are given the option to choose which customer record you would like to preserve by marking it as the "master" record.
6. Once the desired master customer record is chosen, click the "Merge" button.
Congratulations! You have merged your duplicate customer records.