With the Shopify integration, you can:
- Make your Heartland Retail inventory across all locations available to sell online
- Process and fulfill web orders from Shopify in your Heartland Retail account
- See your eCommerce and store sales all within Heartland Retail
Please reach out HRetailsupport@heartland.us for pricing options and get started today!
To connect your Shopify site to Heartland Retail:
Find your Shopify store name. This can be seen in the address bar of your browser when on the Shopify admin page (see highlighted part in example below):
- From Heartland Retail, navigate to Settings -> Integrations -> Shopify.
- Enter your Shopify store name and click "Connect". You may be prompted to log into your Shopify site.
- You should now be connected to Shopify.
- Select a station to use as your Shopify station. This will be the station assigned to orders placed on your Shopify site. This can be an existing station or you may want to create a new location/station to allow better sales data tracking in reporting.
Setting up your Shopify products to use Heartland Retail for fulfillment and inventory tracking:
Each product in Shopify must:
- Have the "SKU (Stock Keeping Unit)" field exactly match the text in Heartland Retail's "Item #" field for that item. This is how we connect the Shopify item to the corresponding item in Heartland Retail.
- Have the Inventory Management By field set to "Heartland Retail"
For new or existing product variants you can click the check box in the variants section below the shipping section in Shopify when creating or editing a product as shown below:
If you have a large number of existing products you need to update you can use Shopify's Import/Export to update them in bulk:
- Export your products from Shopify
- Edit the spreadsheet to set the Variant Inventory Tracker and Variant Fulfillment Service fields to heartland-retail.
- Save the spreadsheet and import it into Shopify. Check the box next to "Overwrite existing products that have the same handle"
Inventory sync frequency
When orders are placed in Shopify, those orders instantly sync down into Heartland Retail and reserve inventory. When items are sold in Heartland Retail, it can take up to an hour for inventory changes in Heartland Retail to be reflected in your Shopify account. More information about that here.
How payment processing works with Shopify
Your Shopify merchant credit card processing account will be separate from the merchant processing account you use with Heartland Retail. You can enroll in a new account with any of the approved third party processors on Shopify's website.
When you set up your payment settings on Shopify, you must select the "Automatically capture payment for orders" option in order for the integration to function properly.
Important: If you do not capture payment in Shopify when the order is placed, you will encounter problems if you attempt to process multiple shipments against a single order in Heartland Retail.
Distributing and fulfilling Shopify orders
When a new Shopify order is created, it will sync into Heartland Retail as an open, undistributed sales order. If you will only be fulfilling Shopify orders from a single location in your account, you can choose to auto-distribute orders to that location on the Shopify settings page:
That way, you'll be ready to fulfill Shopify orders immediately.
If you have multiple store locations that you will fulfill orders from, you should not use the auto-distribute feature. Instead, you'll receive an alert on your dashboard that you have an order that is ready to be distributed.
When you click the "Details" link, it will take you to a list of orders that need to be distributed. To learn more about how order distribution works, check out this article.
Once the order has been distributed, you are ready to fulfill the order on Heartland Retail and send the item(s) to the customer. Check out this article to learn more about how order fulfillment works in Heartland Retail.
Although you'll use Heartland Retail's order fulfillment system to complete the customer's order, Heartland Retail will actually use Shopify's payment service upon order completion to charge the customer's credit card and complete the payment. Payments in Heartland Retail will be reflected as "Shopify payments."